Our mental health stats also show that about 150,000 NZers are under treatment at any given time. Its a risky combination- mental instability (aspergers, bi-polar etc) with cannabis use.
A recently completed UK study provided the findings below-
- Scientists found a ‘significant link’ between marijuana and manic episodes
- Mania includes symptoms such as depression, anger and aggression
- Also includes hyperactivity, less need for sleep and feelings of elation
- In extremes, can cause people to become delusional and hear voices
- Cannabis can make mania worse in people with bipolar disorder, they said
The findings add to a body of previous studies that have linked cannabis to increased rates of mental health problems including depression, anxiety, psychosis and schizophrenia.
As one who frequently reads Kiwiblog GD (much less frequently of late) I had to smile as I read this, as it seemed to offer the perfect answer for much of the delusional nonsense that masquerades as debate there.
For example- Do the voices these admitted pot smoking mentally ill commenters hear come from Al Gore and other AGW believers I wondered? Is there really a collection of lizard people living inside the hollow interior of the earth and secretly directing our fate? Is the feverish compulsion many have to denigrate Christianity at every opportunity driven by a combination of Obsessive Compusive Disorder and abuse of cannabis? It certainly seems the most likely explanation for the insane behaviour of a few of the more notorious obsessives who comment there.